38 GMC Part 2

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Misc. Pics

Motor Mount Fab, Cab back on, Firewall Surgery, Flywheel grinding.

Thanks for the kudos guys, I really appreciate it. Can't say the same about my neighbors.

Attachments

• Firewall Surgery.jpg
    Firewall Surgery.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Motor mount the beginning.jpg
    Motor mount the beginning.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Another Motor Mount View.jpg
    Another Motor Mount View.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Transmission View.jpg
    Transmission View.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 82
  • look Ma, no cab!.jpg
    look Ma, no cab!.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Grinding the flywheel.jpg
    Grinding the flywheel.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Inside the Saginaw.jpg
    Inside the Saginaw.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 35Flatbed.jpg
    35Flatbed.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 120
1938 was the only year that GMC put a Pontiac in their trucks. In 37 they had oldsmobile engines. I have always wondered why they did that. My guess it was political, probably right after General Motors was created and adopted Pontiac and Olds.

I think they went to a GMC engine in 39.

It is really fun trying to find parts for one of the flatheads, they are so different from the OHV Chevy engines. To make matters more insteresting the Pontiac sedans had 222 c.i. engines and the GMC trucks had the same engine but 223 c.i..

Interesting note though, the Chevy OHV had 3 intake ports and 4 exhaust. The Pontiac has 4 intake ports and six exhaust.

wow looks great.

im new to this as well but i think youll be under your scrub line once you install the motor. just my $0.02

keep up the great work man.

I hate it when I am wrong and deerchopper is right. jk

Scrub line is now to low. Will be adding a leaf back in and rebuilding the front cross member this weekend, assuming I have the time.

That engine is HEAVY!!!!!! Probably about 600 pounds with the tranny on.

I will get some pics up this weekend, I hope, of the new front cross member, etc. Gained 3 or so inches on the scrub line giving me about 2 inches of clearance.

Right now I am thrilled with my rebuilt distributor. This was done by Bubba's Hotrod Shop.

Converted to 12 volt and HEI, although you can't really tell unless you pull the cap.

And this thing was UGLY when I sent it out. I am impressed!

$192.00 all in

Attachments

• Distributor.jpg
    Distributor.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 43
  • HEI conversion.jpg
    HEI conversion.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 41
WARNING!!!! this will be a boring post but I felt like putting something up before I head out to work on the 38, I will try to get pics up later tonight.

Engine will be started next weekend, I think. You never know what you will encounter. I will make a youtube vid of the start up if I can.

Going out to finish the frame today, install the fuel tank, route the battery cables, install the voltage regulator, work on the seats, and whatever else I have time for, assuming I have time for the above.

Time to go to work!!!!

Finally started the old Poncho today. Had an issue with the timing so it took all day. Just running on one carb for now in order to get it started, have to dial in the second carb, maybe next weekend.

Video is pretty bad and the sound is terrible as my friend shot it with my blackberry.

Was able to get it to even out later on and get it to idle better. Now to finish up the timing, add a clutch, steering and finish the brakes.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rk3gXyPh5A

Just a few odds and ends.

Fuel tank is in along with the filter, pump, regulator, etc. as is the radiator. Steering is finally in and working although this picture doesn't really show how it is mounted. and I thought I would throw in a pic of one of my engine mounts.

Probably be able to drive it in about 2 weeks so you can imagine I have not been posting up near enough.

Attachments

• engine mount.jpg
    engine mount.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 48
  • fuel tank.jpg
    fuel tank.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Radiator.jpg
    Radiator.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 47
  • steering and floor.jpg
    steering and floor.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 45
Well it's finally rainin here this morning so, I went through this thread and really like the way you went with this build [ddev
I'm all over GMC's anyway and Pontiac's so, this is the best of both worlds for me [cl :cool:
Good job

Jim

Latest posts

Back