AFTERMATH HOT RODS V8 Trike Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakejake416

It's a trike, not a bike and not a car but I'm sure one of you guys will let me know if I'm posting this in the wrong location. Anyway, long story short, I bought a frame along time ago with intentions of building a chopper. Little by little it came together but I was always too busy to finish it up. It was pushed around the shop for a year or so and I finally got tired of it being in the way. I wanted to make it into something a little less ordinary. I figured it would be easier to put two wheels in the back if I ditched the FJ1200 engine. I happened to have a stout 350 laying around and the demented wheels in my head began to turn. A good friend of mine is a former Marine who's a double amputee and can no longer operate a traditional motorcycle. This thing is being built with his disability, and many like it, in mind. Hope you enjoy...

This is really the only shot that I have of the chopper project at it's most complete stage.

shopbikes_zpsa3206226.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The next couple shots are of the initial deconstruction.

Here are a few of the freshly built 350 that has been distressed to look like it's been sitting out side for a while.

trike8_zpscabcc5e4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

trike7_zpsb3203307.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is one with the intended transmission to be used. It's a powerglide with the tail housing removed dragster style in order to keep the wheel base somewhat respectable. I don't like to look of a lot of these V8 trikes that are 15 feet long. Side profile will ideally be the same as the chopper.

trike144_zps85dc80a5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And here's a little taste of what it's going to look like hanging under the frame. In this shot it's mocked up with wood blocks but this is the general location for final resting place.

trike146_zps799ba295.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Admirable cause and looks like it might be fun. Being a marine I assume he's got balls of brass [S it might be a little scary also. [P

[cl[cl

I cannot attest to the make up of his testiculars but he is the craziest MF I've ever had the pleasure of hangin' with :D

I like it.
Good choice on the trans as well.
I think about a trike every once in a while as I have lost a leg and just don't think that I can hold up a bike with one anymore.
This one is sure to be a screamer.:D
Torchie.

great project and cause. keep us posted.

Ya, I'll definitely keep it posted. I did all of that math when this idea first popped into my head and with the 1 to 1 final drive of the powerglide, the 3.0:1 gear ratio in the 9" and the 29.5" Mickey Thompsons @ a little over 6900rpm (if I could turn 6900) I'll have a theoretical top speed of about 200mph. Theoretically, of course. It should cruise 70mph at about 1750rpm.

A few more pics of mock up, the rear end and tires are standing up in the back ground.

trike145_zpse6eb8da5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Front motor mounts

trike150_zps2ef07ae5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As a long-time triker, I definitely like this project! I have a friend in Denver building trikes and bikes with sidecars for people with physical limitations. He'd be a good source for mobility and equipment questions. Let me know if you want his info. Great job so far! :D

looks good. A couple of questions. Are you going to narrow the rear end? On the trike i built for my wife it worked out to 52" to the out side of the tires and it seems that's about how wide most store bought ones are. the other thing is are you going to run a fork brace? the wife's had a lot of flex with the 4" over tubes I ran to make it look right. I also used 3 degree trees and 3 degree bearing cups on the softail frame and now the front end plows in the corners if you are on the gas hard. I think it would work better if I kept the neck stock and ran just the raked trees to take the wobble out.

looks good. A couple of questions. Are you going to narrow the rear end? On the trike i built for my wife it worked out to 52" to the out side of the tires and it seems that's about how wide most store bought ones are. the other thing is are you going to run a fork brace? the wife's had a lot of flex with the 4" over tubes I ran to make it look right. I also used 3 degree trees and 3 degree bearing cups on the softail frame and now the front end plows in the corners if you are on the gas hard. I think it would work better if I kept the neck stock and ran just the raked trees to take the wobble out.

Hey man lots of good questions. Yes the rear will be a narrowed 9" I don't remember the exact dimensions off the top of my head but with the 14" wide wheels and MT's it's still pretty wide. I have braced the down tubes and I think that it should be sufficient but honestly I don't know how it will work out. I'm running 42* of rake without any offset bearings or cups. We live in Florida and everything is terribly straight so I'm not too concerned about the corners. I'm trying to figure out some sort of super duty steering stabilizer cause the front end wants to fall from side to side. I'm hoping the gyroscopic effect of the front tire will help out with this once it's moving. Despite it's looks safety is my main priority believe it or not. Thanks for the input and questions. I appreciate the scrutiny.

Not a lot of progress today. I had too many irons in the fire...

Transmission mount. The idea here is to be able to support the engine/trans on blocks and peel the whole chassis away if necessary to facilitate engine removal.

trike153_zps98885a9a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's going to be a hard tail. Hopefully this design will transfer power to the whole frame.

trike155_zpsd4806dd1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just out of curiosity and maybe you havent gotten that far yet... but are you going to have rubber mounts for the engine and tranny to sit on and absorb vibrations?

-Chris

Wasn't trying to be critical just trying to help and let you know where I made my mistakes and where I think I can make improvements on mine.

No worries man, I appreciate the criticism. I really like it when people make suggestions that may save me time, pain, money, etc.

Just out of curiosity and maybe you havent gotten that far yet... but are you going to have rubber mounts for the engine and tranny to sit on and absorb vibrations?

-Chris

Nope. I'm that far and the rubber mounts just aren't going to happen. I thought about it initially but it complicated the idea so I skipped it. I anticipate this being a short distance "bar hopper" type ride. I'm really kinda curious to see what it's like sitting on top of a V8.

Latest posts

Back