AFTERMATH HOT RODS V8 Trike Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just came back from my first ride about a half an hour ago and for some reason I cant get my hands to stop shaking. That never happens to me :D All I can tell you is that it is very fast and I never saw anything above 3200 RPM. Ha ha. Anyway, it's just about done. Still a little tweaking and peaking but you get the idea. Here's a quick video: http://youtu.be/ZObJPSZKQ3s
The video quality isn't great but I'll do better in the next couple days.

Obviously, there is no speedometer (who needs 'em?) but I would imagine that I was probably doing about 45-50 in high gear (2nd) at around 1500rpm ish. To be totally honest I really wasn't paying attention to speed as much as oil pressure and temp. When you not "in" the vehicle every little sound is a big deal. I've never has a holley double pumper 16" away from my face before. The inhale sound is awesome!!:D

Was talking to a guy this morning about the transmission modification and realized that when it became a shorty PG the governor went away and a reverse valve body was used. What I'm getting at is that all the test rides were in first gear only! As soon as the guy left I put on a helmet and went for another ride. Totally awesome. Aired down the rear tires to about 12psi and all the bounce went away. It's smooth. I'll get some go pro video for you guys asap.

Obviously, there is no speedometer (who needs 'em?) but I would imagine that I was probably doing about 45-50 in high gear (2nd) at around 1500rpm ish. To be totally honest I really wasn't paying attention to speed as much as oil pressure and temp. When you not "in" the vehicle every little sound is a big deal. I've never has a holley double pumper 16" away from my face before. The inhale sound is awesome!!:D

Was talking to a guy this morning about the transmission modification and realized that when it became a shorty PG the governor went away and a reverse valve body was used. What I'm getting at is that all the test rides were in first gear only! As soon as the guy left I put on a helmet and went for another ride. Totally awesome. Aired down the rear tires to about 12psi and all the bounce went away. It's smooth. I'll get some go pro video for you guys asap.

So it was doing 45-50 MPH at 1500 RPM in 1st gear?!? What will it do in second? Seems like this will be one damn fast and light trike! How does the knobby front tire ride at speed?

This project makes me want to build one. I just need a chopper frame and front end...

To totally come clean the first ride is a bit of a blur. I "think" I was in first and I "think" it was about 45-50 at 1500rpm but I had a bit of sensory overload and I don't remember all the details to be honest. The short ride I took this morning was for sure in second gear and I was creeping up on traffic at 1200rpm. The speed limit in that area is a pretty strict 55mph. It has started raining so no more for today :mad:

The knobby tire does ok. I can't really feel the knobs unless the speed is really slow. Evasive maneuvers at speed aren't a good idea on any trike but especially with the knobby. I imagine that the knobs roll over when turned. I don't anticipate that tire to last too long. I'll put a regular street tire on when it's gone.

So it was doing 45-50 MPH at 1500 RPM in 1st gear?!? What will it do in second? Seems like this will be one damn fast and light trike! How does the knobby front tire ride at speed?

This project makes me want to build one. I just need a chopper frame and front end...

Not suprised you were still in 1st gear. :D
A friend of mine has a 64 Chevelle with a PG and when he is out messing around he runs it up faster than that and then pops it into 2nd.
Great trans. Wonder how one of the air cooled ones would hold up behind a V-8 in a bike.
Torchie.

Not suprised you were still in 1st gear. :D
A friend of mine has a 64 Chevelle with a PG and when he is out messing around he runs it up faster than that and then pops it into 2nd.
Great trans. Wonder how one of the air cooled ones would hold up behind a V-8 in a bike.
Torchie.

I had the old cast iron powerglide behind a 235 in my '62 Bel Air. With your foot to the floor it would shift into second at about 55. By that time it was screaming though (no tach).

This one would likely do the same thing but the valve body is entirely manual and must be shifted by hand into each gear. I'm thinking about a solenoid to activate 2nd but it's really kinda pointless. It takes off like a bat outta hell from a dead stop in 2nd so who needs first?

I'm in the process of uploading another video for anyone who is interested. I have to apologize in advance you're gonna wind up looking at my face for most of it. Sorry. http://youtu.be/N04cFP2RJDg

Also a few more pics of the build that I never posted. The first two are of the platform that supports the aux tank in the back.

Trike005_zps395d9dbd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trike006_zps3704197d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The rest of these shots are some of the final product piscs and will be used to sell it in it's upcoming auction.

Trike041_zpse6bdfbf0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trike029_zpsb1cfd7a3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Outstanding !!!

I had to judge your speed by how big your smile got [cl
Just how hot did you knees get [S
I wish you wouldn't have done this project because now I might have to do one.
Thanks for sharing

I'm in the process of uploading another video for anyone who is interested. I have to apologize in advance you're gonna wind up looking at my face for most of it. Sorry. http://youtu.be/N04cFP2RJDg

Also a few more pics of the build that I never posted. The first two are of the platform that supports the aux tank in the back.

Trike005_zps395d9dbd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trike006_zps3704197d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The rest of these shots are some of the final product piscs and will be used to sell it in it's upcoming auction.

Trike041_zpse6bdfbf0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trike029_zpsb1cfd7a3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cool vid! Selling already?

To be honest I don't even notice the exhaust heat. The only heat issue is with the upper cooling hose that wraps right around the valve cover. My knee kinda rests on it and I can feel that if I idle too long. Once I get moving again the water temp falls back down to about 135 and it's not a big deal.

Yep, selling already. Well soon any way, I have a few little things that I'd like to work out. For the last year this is how I have made my living and as much as I'd like to keep everything I build I'd rather eat [P. Sometimes it's a tough decision but that's just how it is.

Alright guys, I've finally had a little time to "tweak and peak" this thing. No more leaks and everything runs like it should. I have about 200 miles on it and on one trip averaged about 22mpg believe it or not.

Anyway, it's off to Thunder Beach in Panama City Beach, Fl on Friday and it will visit Ebay after that if necessary. I know some of you guys mentioned wanting to build one so if anyone is local and needs a close up look PM me and we'll swap details.

Latest posts

Back