AFTERMATH HOT RODS V8 Trike Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I was kinda leaning that way. I have a bunch of old motorcycle chain but no way to "clasp" it shut yet except the master link. Still looking...

Yeah, I was kinda leaning that way. I have a bunch of old motorcycle chain but no way to "clasp" it shut yet except the master link. Still looking...

I've seen similar things and we have wrenches at work that use chain. It wouldn't be too hard to make a handle with a hook on it to grab a link, then over-centers and holds the chain tight.

To be honest the ratchet strap may stay for a while. I'm trying to finish this thing up, or at least ride able, by the 4th of April in order to make a local show in Panama City Fl. I still have quite a ways to go. I got the tail lights mounted today and started wiring it. Working on a throttle cable and still waiting on my brass brake switch block from Speedway. Those guys are quick unless you NEED the part.

Your front forks

If it was mine, I would ditch the forks and build one suitable for the weight and stresses.

If you do a search on "trike forks", see what they are using.

I am scratch building a Springer for a garage build I will be riding, and the prints I follow are engineered.

But of course, do as you like.

If it was mine, I would ditch the forks and build one suitable for the weight and stresses.

If you do a search on "trike forks", see what they are using.

I am scratch building a Springer for a garage build I will be riding, and the prints I follow are engineered.

But of course, do as you like.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "engineered" but my mechanical engineering degree kinda means that my prints are "engineered" as well. I agree that the forks I'm using are not common to what most trikes use but this isn't like most trikes. I expect this things total weight to be right around 900lbs compared to a goldwing trike that weighs in at around 1200 without all the chrome, horns, lights, trailer, etc. Most V8 trikes are likely closer to 1600. I could be horribly wrong of course and in that case I'll have my buddies post pics of the greasy spot I leave behind on the asphalt :D

As someone who has actually been around trikes for over 45 years, I'd like to say that I believe the forks will be fine, strength-wise. As I stated earlier, if you want a little more compression rate, progressive-wound springs and a heavier fork oil will help immensely. I love this project. :D

I'm definitely going with stiffer springs at some point just cause the forks have enough travel to theoretically allow the oil pan to rub. Aren't progressively wound springs usually softer at first and then progressively stiffer? I think I'll need the entire stroke to be pretty stiff. On the other hand, currently I have about 3.5" of fork compression which I think will help to keep the front end down. Believe it or not I don't want to do wheelies. I'll just see how it rides and go from there. Thanks again for the info.

I will put up a video of it running as soon as it does. I'm itching to hear the exhaust too. I considered straight exhaust just for volume but cant stand the "red neck" truck sound. Hopefully the GP's didn't tone it down too much. We'll see soon.

dont know how I have missed this..

this is an awesome build you got going on.. keep at it

I got a little done over the weekend but today was one of those days where nothing goes right. Planned on wiring and starting it up today but I have to have brakes before it runs cause I know myself and as soon as it starts I'm gonna cruise around the block. Leaking flares, missing caliper bolts, etc. Anyway, here are a few pics...

I added some tie ins to the frame that basically turn the engine block into a stressed member of the frame. All the sport bike manufacturers are doing it. Might not be necessary but it ups the warm fuzzy meter.
Trike4003_zps9080e53c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trike4006_zpsfd65afed.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Before anyone comments... Yes I know that my fill cap is not the highest part of my cooling system. The upper line is a pain to deal with and there isn't enough space around the fuel line to accept the filler. Hopefully, I fill it, seal it and don't have to worry about it any more.
Trike4004_zps990de881.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Got a "universal" motorcycle cable kit on Ebay that surely wasn't meant for this application but I was able to salvage what I needed to make the cable work.

I know I have the little ball adapters that makes this connection seamless but I couldn't find them so I soldered the cable to itself. We'll see how long this holds before I wind up riding home with one hand on the bars and the other on the carb.
DSCN1159_zps3fb2b82f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gauges installed in what is basically the only left over real estate. The view is actually pretty decent when sitting on it.
DSCN1161_zps7e9900d8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Volt gauge went in right over the battery. Getting kinda busy down there.
DSCN1162_zpsa055d9b4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey!
It appears your filler hole isn't the highest..........just kidding. Couldn't resist :D
Just put the bike on an incline sideways to fill it, you'll be fine :D
This thing is really coming together!
Getting excited to see it in motion! Probably not as excited as you though. [cl

I filled it yesterday level up to the top of the cap and then removed the upper rad hose and topped the rest of it off. Very little air in there if any. Progress today is shut down a bit. Since the trike is almost finished I'm off to collect the next project.

It's done. Wiring is finished and it turns over. I'm need to find some zink additive tomorrow to break in the cam and flip the ignition switch. Hopefully I'll have video tomorrow afternoon for all interested.

Latest posts

Back