AFTERMATH HOT RODS V8 Trike Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another day without a lot of progress

Finally a rear view with tires. It's pretty wide but I don't think it's too wide. Opinions??

trike157_zps7b093851.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Capped the remnants of the chopper frame

trike160_zps254cb166.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This looks terrible but was a necessary evil. Had to cut it up a bit to make room for the distributor and the carb/filter. The seat portion had a bunch of spring in it.

trike162_zps97cdebf7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After the main tube was cut and raised it was reassembled and plated

trike165_zps3fcbdea9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Width looks good to me, but show a side profile view. That's also an important proportion to get right.
Judging by the setup, I think it'll look grrreat!

P.s. Have you seen the flathead v8 trike floating around? One of my favorites!

How are you making the connection from the rear end to the trans output shaft?

photo1-3.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

photo5-2.jpg

I've seen the flat head trike on youtube and really like it. The build quality is really high and it looks like a really well thought out plan. My trike is going together only once if I can help it. I like mock up to be final assembly also on this type of project :D. I'm linking the rear to the trans via a dragster style male/female spline connection common on hard tail rails.

trike6_zpsb943ec98.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cool project, I would have set up the axle mount between the upper and lower tubes, stronger than the tabs on top of the tube, but all In All a cool project, looks awesome from the rear

The thought process behind the tabs was that as power is applied the rear end will push on the tabs and translate that force into the frame, probably. I'm still considering adding some type of lateral stability.

The rear brake is a little out of the ordinary. It is actuated with your heel instead of your toe do to the seating position.

trike166_zpsabed3976.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Got it outside to make some temporary room in the shop get a better look at whats been created.

Trike3003_zpsa570f9c2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trike3002_zps2fe5e967.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I also made quite a bit of progress today on the primary fuel tank and the radiator. I wish that there was some way to avoid the radiator all together but it has to happen. I think that I found the smallest one that should work. I guess we'll see.

Trike3010_zpsd4a4ac0e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This tank started out as a junk sportster tank that is narrow enough to fit between the bars lock to lock. It wasn't long enough to cover the frame and it's flat bottom looked weird so I stretched and curved it a bit.

Trike3012_zps7cc00e1c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trike3013_zps60161093.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trike3014_zps4e48483a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

At this point I sorta forgot to keep taking pictures so you're missing a few steps but the final product turned out alright. Rough looking to match the rest of the bike was the idea.

Trike3019_zpsc8ef2c30.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trike3022_zpsd28ed678.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trike3020_zps8171bb6d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Is that front end being used for mock up? Or is that the front end you plan on using ? Looks like it needs more beef up front.

This is the front end I plan on using. I had the same thought at first but then I realized that this same front suspension and triple tree set up that recently set the world record for longest motorcycle jump. 300 plus feet at over 110mph. All I need it to do is track straight at about 80mph. At least this is how I convince myself it'll work safely. We'll see.

Progressive springs and a little heavier fork oil will also help.

That's good thinking. I really hadn't considered heavier fork oil. The compression clickers are just about all the way soft and the forks are about an inch up in the trees. I'll play with it down the road. Thanks for the tip!

There will absolutely be videos. I'm planning on lots of go pro video. Go pro is a really great way to see how your stuff is working as it's working. I have some concerns about chassis flex with this project and the go pro video will confirm or deny whether or not I need more support. You'll all get to see one way or another.

A few updates from the other day I hadn't had time to post yet. Got a shifter rigged up and put the smallest battery I could find in the only place that it would fit. Running out of real estate quick

Trike4002_zpsa2989162.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The ratchet strap is temporary until I find something a little more fitting.
Trike4003_zpsd3eaaded.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Completed as much of the rear brake lines as possible without the little brass block that will incorporate the brake light switch. Local auto parts stores don't stock it and Speedway is taking their sweet time...
Trike4004_zps3f226e94.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Today I tackled the exhaust. Didn't really go to plan because of where the battery wound up but overall I'm happy with the design. Sorta functions as a bit of a foot guard to protect you from putting your boot under the tire when your going for the rear brake.

Trike4009_zps7bde2a01.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trike4005_zpsbefec78b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trike4006_zpsd343ce5d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trike4007_zps07ca7bb1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

These were the last two pieces of mandrel bent exhaust tube that I had, not gonna waste it.
Trike4011_zpscb59e6ce.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Final welding done and waiting to go back on
Trike4012_zps7706c265.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back