Computer help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
Hey fellas. Your ole friend Gastrick here. I need some advice before I give up on computers permanently. The computer I was using when I was active here went kaput. I was finally able to get a new computer but it has the "latest" version of everything on it. I can't even find my programs on the friggin thing. It has "apps" and "tiles", slide screens,and all kinds of silly techno gizmos that are way beyond me. Seriously? Touch screen on a desk top? That's why I have a mouse dang it. Do any of you folks have any kind of advice that will make it comfortable for a cave man be able to use a modern computer? I want to play on the forum again. Thanks, Bill

I was talked into getting one of those tablet things .it had a 30 day return policy had to send it back i just could not understand how to use it . Went to local computer store and bought a new HP lap top almost exactly like the one I had for under 300 bucks . Got a young person to fire it up and there was almost no learning curve Worked for me .

Sorry I can't help you on the computer stuff as I'm a "cave man" too. But it sure is good to hear from you. It's just not the same here without you. Hope all is well with you other than the computer stuff and hope you get that straightened out and get back to being a regular fixture here. :cool:

You probably got windows 8. There is some sort of program or something to make it look like windows 7. An IT guy or geek should be able to set that up for you. I got a new Dell about a year or so ago off ebay and made sure it had 7, not 8. My laptop runs 7 too. 7 runs pretty much like the old XP or previous versions. I have a notebook I use when I'm on the road and I am learning to navigate the apps thing but I don't like the touch screens either, tried a smart phone for a couple months and hated it, went back to a $20 net ten flip phone. You should still be able to use a mouse if it's a desk top.

I'm Glad to see you back Bill!!! My philosophy with computers is... when having trouble go find a kid! They'll have it fixed in a snap..:D

I wish I could help or knew some one who could. I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a lap top and a desk top, I can't figure out the desk top to post pictures, and the lap top messed up after trying to install an update and it is just screwed, so that is why I've haven't posted anything about my f6 build.give me a torch, a hammer and a welder and I'm a lot happier.

Im not very good with new phones or computers either.I got a rebuilt computer with #7 on it. I liked xp better for most things.

Welcome back!

I'm in the same boat, stuck with 8. It's different for sure, but I've learned by trial, error and curse. The cursing doesn't help... but some patience, willing and determination does and it's not terribly difficult, just different.

If you haven't got the patience, find somebody familiar with 8 and take a crash course. Internet, picture files and mail are all I need or care to know. (If I can do it, a chimp can do it. :p)

Good luck and welcome back again!

I feel for ya Bill! Even my computer geek 20 yr old daughter hates Win8. It's trying to be like an i-phone and it's a PITA.

Well, at least you got to the point where you could post on RRR again.

On the 'start' screen (the stupid new tiled screen) look for the tile "desktop" or move your cursor to the upper left corner and click. That should get you to the old style desktop that we all know and love. After that, at the bottom should be a icon for IE and a file icon to open your file system - much like the old.

(Hopefully that's correct, my wife had played with ours a day or two before I got ahold of it.)

Thanks fellas. I'm making these posts from an iPad. Yes windows 8 is what I apparently have. I'm gonna try to buckle down and try to figure it out and maybe look into one of those programs that make 8 look like 7 or XP. I just get frustrated with the concept that supposedly intelligent people decided it was a good idea to make a full size desk top computer into something that operates like a smart phone. Grrrrrrrrrr

You have the right under the software license agreement to downgrade to Windows 7. If it is a desktop, it should not be too much hassle for a somewhat techie sort of person to do it for you. You will just need an installation disk, and also to download the drivers for any of the hardware that Windows 7 does not automatically install for you. (That's the part that makes a laptop much more difficult, since it has a LOT of proprietary stuff built into it.)

There are also (free) programs that will give you the Start Menu back - sorta. I tired Windows 8 out, too, and hated it. I'm sticking with Windows 7 until they come to thier senses. (Although I'm not holding my breath on that happening.) I have one computer that is still XP, and it will stay that way. (I have programs on there that I like, that won't run in Windows 7. It never connects to the internet, so it is totally secure.)

I 'spose we better just get used to it. Half the Americans are wandering around with their face planted in a smart phone so 8 is the format they want. I'll stay with 7 as long as they support it.

Bill it is fantastic to see you back. Sounds like windows 8, sorry not familiar with that version. That being said, I do believe MS is stopping support on 7 first of the year. And I am sure we will be getting 8 at work because of HIPPA issues.

There are two types of "support" being talked about here. XP just had its end of "Extended Support" last April. Windows 7 "Main Stream Support" will end in January of next year. That just means that they will not issue another SP upgrade package. (Like XP went up to SP 3. Win 7 will stop at SP 1, the current version.) Additional upgrades and patches will continue to be made available for Win 7 until January 2020 (Extended Support). When you do a clean install of Win 7, as soon as you connect to the internet it will apply the additional upgrades and patches.

Microsoft site: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle

Latest posts

Back