"Dark Sarcasm"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Lenny,
Future plans are to get it to set level. It is now 1 1/2 to 2 in lower in the rear, but I think I can fix that.

I would lovr to chop the top but have never done anything like that before. ChopperTom posted pics of one he built a few years ago and it looks real good. Would also like to remove the door handles and vent windows,(like Tom did on his) The cut glass(Windshield mainly) is the only thing I can't do myself.

I'm up for more feedback and suggestions on the "Top Chop"

BoneHead, the sun came out for ya

Got some pics in the daylight.....

Attachments

• Setting Level 001.JPG
    Setting Level 001.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Setting Level 002.JPG
    Setting Level 002.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Setting Level 003.JPG
    Setting Level 003.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Setting Level 004.JPG
    Setting Level 004.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 27
I'll be choppin my clone soon flate ,and i'll post plenty of pics for ya [hopefullly my comp skills will be better by then.]In mabie a mounth or so [hopefully]!!!
You should look for another spare cab,there still plenty around and cheep too .
If you had another cab you could take your time and chop it then swap them out latter on.

its lookin good .A roll pan next[easy to make on that one]?how about shavin those drip rails mabie?Shavin door handles is easy too?

I'm up for shavin the door handles...
Never done it before, Need instructions....

Prefer to leave the drip rails, Well, for now anyway.

Put the rear bumper back on yesterday, but Not above tryin to make a roll pan.

I seen that you dont have a welder yet,I didnt either when i built that chopped truck.I really got good at pop rivits and fiber glass back then.
If done right pop rivits work fine [believe it or not]but a welder shure is nice to have.
Just take your door handles off and the rest will come to you when you get that fare,think about running a small cable from the latch down the door to the bottom [more room down there,may need to use a pully to do it ] and mount a silanoid. Look for a spare door to figure it out on ,probably get a rusted out one for free if you look around.:)
I tell ya what too ,if you could get your hands on a cheep stick welder ,you'd be amazed what you could learn to do with it.the old crank handle jobs are awsome too.the cheep wal -mart 110 migs are ok for sheet metal with flux core ,but thats about as cheep as you can get besides harbour fraite but i haveint tryed one of those yet.I finally got me a miller 210 a few years back and am well pleased with it .
Oh yea i finally got on the 67 -72 forum,got some good info on their,thinkin about sighnin up ,are they bad for flamin on there???

Last edited:
Tom,
I just happen to know a little something about the ole rivit gun...

About the Chevy truck forum,
NO, they're not bad to flame you over there. Well moderated and good feedback, but there is a Smart@$$ or 2 in the crowd...It still won't be as bad as what you might get on a couple of other sights.

I still dont have that forum all figured out yet ,is there any threads of chop tops and air bags on our trucks on there?or any heavily modified trucks ?
How much would you chop yours ''if''you could???

The truck forum is *HUGE*
When you do your research over there you have to do it by year, or by subject...sometimes both...

Such as
1973-1987 Chevy & GMC
Suspension
wiring
Stereo

If you are not finding what you are looking for, use the search option.
Like I said, that place has been there for over 10 yrs. You may have to dig in to the archives.

Be patient, and good luck...

Had to take 2 steps back today...
Re-stacked the spring packs and raised the rear back up some. No big deal.

Got tored of liikin at an empty bed, So I started the process of cutting & sanding the wood that "Da Hurricane" pulled out of the bathroom a while back. The wood looks to be in good shape and with any luck, I will have most of the work done in the A.M....Will post pics later....

ChopperTom,
Take a look at the truck forum. I started a new thread over there and have a lot of good advice and feedback.

Well Tripper wasn't playin with me about that 400 watt amp.
It came in the mail yesterday....

Tripper, bacause you rock....I'm gonna be Rockin...

I will do a step by step build of the center console and stereo, amp and sub installation.

Thanks again Tripp.

Latest posts

Back