I'm one HAPPY CAMPER !!!!!!!!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Don. Both cars in the shop painted and almost fully functional. They sure look sparkly. Did you paint your grill shell yet?

Man you guys dress casual in the shop. :D. I'd look like one big burnt scab if I dressed like that. (some say I do anyway)

Yeah, with the temperature as high as it's been, I hate to bundle up too much. Don evidently shares the same dislike for the heat too as we both get down to shorts as soon as we hit the shop. Sparks are kind of a hazard though. :eek::D

No, been concentrating on Don's car, I still have to paint my grille shell and headlights. Don is busy playing now through Saturday, so I will have time to work on mine except Wednesday night. Dan is off then too and he and I are going to try to wrap up Don's wiring.

Looks like I won't have a proper interior in time either, but I don't care. I think I'll just hit Joanne Fabrics and pick up some foam and cheap fabric to get some cushions made up. Then I can get the interior done after Turkey Run.

Don

Those are 2 sweet T's. Y'all do some fantastic work. I'm with rustywrench, wish you were my neighbor but, have learned a lot from your posts. Then again, in about 4 yrs, Columbus, Ga ain't that far,,,,,,

Thanks Bruce. Guess what? Last night I drove the T for the first time!!! :D My replacement wheel cylinder came in and I got the brakes bled. We pushed it outside and fired it up for the first ride. It was raining, and the slicks kept wanting to put it sideways when I goosed it, but man was it fun and cool.

I drove it up and down the parking lot, then let Dan and Don drive it. We all had big grins from ear to ear. Being the bad influences they are, they talked me into taking it out on the side street, no headlights and all. I got up enough speed for it to shift into second, and was surprised how hard it pulls. Just a little gas would break the slicks loose but I could tell it is going to run pretty strong.

Gear ratio seems fine, tranny shifts solid, no vibrations, and I was able to take my hands off the wheel and it tracks straight. Surprisingly, the ride is pretty solt, even with me sitting on plywood. Noise level was even lower than I thought it might be, so it looks like the exhaust will need no further work.

Today I am going to take it to the upholstery shop and see if they can do an interior real quick. I was ok with sitting on foam for Turkey Run, but the Kids insist I get an interior and offered to loan me the money to get it done. (they charge such ridiculous interest rates though :D:D)

I'm still grinning. Here are a couple of nightime pictures in the rain.

Don

Attachments

• t first ride 011.jpg
    t first ride 011.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 35
  • t first ride 012.jpg
    t first ride 012.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 68
  • t first ride 013.jpg
    t first ride 013.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 76
Great news Don. You can't beat that maiden voyage. Looks like it's all down to a couple of details now. My 32 has been to Daytona several times with no interior at all. Just a pair of seats bolted down to the bare floor. Not even a panel between the drivers compartment and the trunk. It didn't bother me at all then, I was just glad to get it there. Now that I have at least a partial interior in it I like it a lot more.

Good times there Don, 1st time I drove mine I had a friend run the gas by reaching through the unfinished windshield, I ran the clutch, and we had no brakes. We did a circle out in front of my shop in 1st gear and I was pretty fired up.

There ain't nothing like that first drive ! Not even my ride & I'm stoked. Could tell you were too in that second pic.

Thanks for the nice words guys. Yep, it really feels great to see it actually move under it's own power as opposed to me pushing it around the shop. :D

Last night Dan and I finished up the aluminum filler plates over the shift hole, and around the brake pedal and master cylinder fill hole. We had to do that so I could drive it to the upholstery shop this AM. I have decided on a rolled and pleated interior in "saddle" color. It is close to the baseball glove color I wanted, and he gave us a sample book and we thought it went with the suspension pretty well.

When we were done we noticed it was dry outside for a change, so Dan and I adorned the parking lot with several sets of two black stripes about 50 feet long each. :D I know I said I was afraid to break anything before Daytona, but that little devil in me won out. Thing is downright scarey. At the top of low gear it starts getting squirrelly and wants to come around on you. I mainly quit because I remembered my rear slicks were $ 260 each, and I would like them to last a while.:eek:

I also took my windshield frame to the glass shop today to have new glass put in. Should have it back Monday he says, and it was only $ 50. I thought that was very reasonable. Don's goes to the upholsterer Monday, so we have a lot of stuff to do this weekend.

Here is a shot we took last night. Not great lighting, but at least it is outside for a change.

Don

Attachments

• t second ride 002.jpg
    t second ride 002.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 81
  • t second ride 008.jpg
    t second ride 008.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 51
BE-AY-UU-TEE-FULL! I love the rims and the cheater slicks really set em off. Send some pics of those black stripes, too. haha

Wow, I just read this whole thing. That is such an awesome build.

Really makes me want a T. Better start saving my lunch money. :D

Thanks guys. 9 days to go till we leave for Daytona and I'm getting pretty stoked. :D Got my T out of the upholstery shop today and finally got some pictures in the sunshine. The upholstery guy had never done a T bucket before, and had it messed up at first, but he finally got it pretty good. It isn't an award winner, but it is fine for what I paid for it.

Don's engine bent a pushrod last night and broke a screw in stud. Not sure why, but I picked up some longer studs today at a Mustang high performance shop (they thought maybe not enough of the poly locks on the roller rockers were seating on the studs) Have to pick up another pushrod and try it again. That's why I kept my motor pretty stock, anytime you start building lots of HP like Don's engine they get so radical that they become undependable. Hope we get it sorted out this week for his sake.

Here are some pictures I took today.

Don

Attachments

• T just back from upholstery shop 001.jpg
    T just back from upholstery shop 001.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 63
  • T just back from upholstery shop 002.jpg
    T just back from upholstery shop 002.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 53
  • T just back from upholstery shop 004.jpg
    T just back from upholstery shop 004.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 50
  • T just back from upholstery shop 006.jpg
    T just back from upholstery shop 006.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 68
  • T just back from upholstery shop 007.jpg
    T just back from upholstery shop 007.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 52
My hats off.The car looks real good.You guys do some amazing work in short time.I hope that you get that push rod problem straitened out before your deadline.It wuold be a shame if the car didnt make it there over somethin like that.Good luck

Wow, looks great Don. I'm one of the lucky ones who will get to see it in person at Daytona, can't wait. I sure hope you guys get the push rod deal squared away on the blue T. Are you sure that the push rods are not too long?

Latest posts

Back