I'm one HAPPY CAMPER !!!!!!!!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, looks great Don. I'm one of the lucky ones who will get to see it in person at Daytona, can't wait. I sure hope you guys get the push rod deal squared away on the blue T. Are you sure that the push rods are not too long?

That's is one possibility Bill. He has a bunch of different year parts on the engine, it is an '85 roller cam 302 with '73 big plug heads that have been worked. They have been milled some, and maybe the pushrods need to be shorter to compensate.

We are going to install the new screw in studs then check the geometry of the roller rockers to see how they are laying on the valve stem. We are holding up ordering new pushrods until we see what length we need. That darned X cam has such a high lift that it is probably contributing to the problem too.

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Don

Hope the push rod thing gets fixed in time.
Sure looks good.
It looks "store bought" not "home made" if you know what I mean.:D

...but we know the truth. You sure worked hard on it.:D

Looks Sweet don!!!. I wished i could make it down to see it in person at daytona.

Thank you. It's been fun doing it. Might have our first outting this Sunday for both cars. My Son just called, he is playing at a Blues Festival and the band has protected parking, so it will be a good shakedown cruise before we journey off to Daytona. Gonna work on his rocker arm problem tonight and start his upholstery installation.

Don

Thank you. It's been fun doing it. Might have our first outting this Sunday for both cars. My Son just called, he is playing at a Blues Festival and the band has protected parking, so it will be a good shakedown cruise before we journey off to Daytona. Gonna work on his rocker arm problem tonight and start his upholstery installation.

Don

Good luck on the shakedown Don. Don't break em before Daytona :D

I think we figured out the cam geometry thing. I spoke to a tech at Summit today, sounded like he knows his stuff. He said Don bought the wrong pushrods initially. He bought ones that are 6.400 long and should have 6.250 long ones. That's over an eigth of an inch difference. Don is running Motorsport roller lifters and they take a shorter pushrod according to Summit. So we are overnighting a new set and will see how that goes.

I got my grille and headlights painted tonight. I really wasn't in a painting mood, but had to do it before the cold front that we are supposed to get Friday gets here. They came out pretty nice for me shooting gloss black. Two little runs but those will buff out.

If I get them installed tomorrow I can take it for a little ride up the road. :D:D

Don

Close!

Don,
U're cuttin' it pretty close! R u gonna get it inspected B4 the TR or what's the routine on the right coast?

BoB

Sounds like Good news Don. My guess is that the shorter push rods are the fix. At this same time next week, I'll be about half way to Daytona. See ya there.

Thanks. Well, this is pretty much the final chapter in the build. Got the grille shell and headlights on and have been driving it around for a few days to see if anything breaks (good so far :D)

Don and I put the shorter pushrods in and the engine now seems to be much better. He got his plates and insurance, so we took the two rods around town a little to see how his ran. He is still grinning I bet. :D:D

Today we are going to finish up his upholstery, and try to get some more miles on them before we leave Thursday for Daytona. Here are some pictures of how the cars ended up.

Don

Attachments

• t after first long drive 005.jpg
    t after first long drive 005.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 73
  • t after first long drive 002.jpg
    t after first long drive 002.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 48
  • t after first long drive 003.jpg
    t after first long drive 003.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 106
  • t after first long drive 004.jpg
    t after first long drive 004.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 65
The cars look outstanding Don. They should be easy to spot. I'll still be over by the NE corner of the Speedway at 8:00 on Sat night. Looking forward to meeting you and your sons.

On an unrelated note, I'm taking a break from cleaning my chrome front suspension on my 32 right now. I know it'll just get dirty again on the way up to the Turkey but it's pretty cruddy. What a pain in the butt.

Great!!! Now what are we gonna do?:eek: You'll be out cruzin and we will have to work on our stuff.:eek:

Cant wait for the Dodge build to get rolling.:D

Have fun Don.

Latest posts

Back