inline honda four/indian four replica

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm... just another thought ....if a guy found one where the tranny doesnt stick out too much...turn the motor sideways run with the existing trans and use the angle drive but run a sprocket on it instead of the shaft.mayby cover the trans with a shroud of some sort use the carbs to kind of hide the bulky trans....[;)

Had to get up "early" for a Swap Meet.
The 2 hour drive gave me time to consider driveline options.

Option 1 - Chain drive

On the twin engine dragsters, back in the 60s,
one method coupled the engines front to back using a sprocket on each motor, and a double row chain to connect the two together.
Pretty simple, gets away from a few problems.

I think you could use the same idea, attach a sprocket to the back of the motor, and a matching sprocket to the front of the Japanese bevel drive. Add short piece of double row chain, and a few mounting brackets.

The output from the bevel drive(left side) might need a simple extension, with a sprocket, to drive a Harley transmission.

Then a regular chain drive to the rear wheel.

Option 2 - Shaft drive
Turn the HD trans 90 degrees, so the input shaft is on the front.
Couple the clutch basket to the motor, using the double row chain method. Chain output from the trans runs to a jackshaft on one side, the shaft drive attaches to the end of the jackshaft.

I think the first idea is easier, and chain drive
gives you more options for wheels etc..

hmmm... just another thought ....if a guy found one where the tranny doesnt stick out too much...turn the motor sideways run with the existing trans and use the angle drive but run a sprocket on it instead of the shaft.mayby cover the trans with a shroud of some sort use the carbs to kind of hide the bulky trans....[;)

Sounds like cheating, might be ok on a trike with shaft drive.
Japanese bike transmissions are usually at least as wide as the motor.

Wonder about just somehow coupling the rear wheel drive set up to the motor and running that to a trans.......Got my head is starting to hurt.....:confused:

When I first read this, I assumed coupling the input shaft on the rear wheel to the crank, then figure out how to attach a sprocket where the wheel should be, driving the tranmission. Sounds bulky and awkward.

What if you did it the other way ?
The wheel side would connect to the motor,
the input side becomes the output.
Sprocket on the output to a HD trans.

The drive ratio on the rear end gets reversed, creating an overdrive, but you could compensate by using a "small" sprocket driving a "big" sprocket on the trans input to get the primary ratio correct.

Maybe something like this to cover the primary drive chain:
tn_25406-47_01.JPG

Might be cool to reuse the stock oil pump,
squeeze it into the cut down crank case.
Driven with a shortened primary chain.

Option 2 - Shaft drive
Turn the HD trans 90 degrees, so the input shaft is on the front.
Couple the clutch basket to the motor, using the double row chain method. Chain output from the trans runs to a jackshaft on one side, the shaft drive attaches to the end of the jackshaft.

I think the first idea is easier, and chain drive
gives you more options for wheels etc..

Instead of connecting the trans directly to the motor, offset the trans to one side. Chain or belt from the crank to the trans input, output would be as above.

Last edited:
Here is the front of the Airhead BMW drive shaft.

1787-drive-shaft-swing-arm.jpg

I'm assuming Cook went with the Virago rear, to be able to use two U-joints.
The BMW only uses one. The open drive shaft on Cook's bike looks much better
than the one Billy did on his "Henderson". Especially on something that is
supposed to look "old".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back