inline honda four/indian four replica

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Von Dutch made himself a BMW bike with a VW motor, using the BMW transmission.I think you can still buy a kit to do this.

The older Japanese 4 cyl didn't make real serious power by todays standards;and having 4 cyl smooths out the power pulses.

On a stripped down bike, driven sanely, I don't see a major problem.
If you are real worried, spring for the extra heavy duty clutch.

o0600039610240580523.jpg

o0600046810240580857.jpg

Imagen-5.jpg

Imagen-6.jpg

"Dave Cook’s AMD Championship-winning bike ‘Rambler’ has a distinct vintage feel, and is powered by what he mysteriously refers to as a ‘550 International’ engine—a one-of-a-kind construction using OEM metric and Dave Cook custom fabricated components. The motor is based on the Honda CB550 http://www.bikeexif.com/benjie’s-cafe-honda-cb550ftransverse four, with a radically reworked case so it can be positioned longitudinally instead of transversely. On top of the case work, Dave also built an auxiliary oil tank and oil regulator. The timing assembly is a one-off too, along with the bell housing and clutch assembly, which runs Aermacchi clutch plates. The transmission housing is an old BMW 3-speeder, which Dave managed to fill with a BMW R75 http://www.bikeexif.com/bmw-r755-racerfour-speed gear set; the shaft drive is adapted from a Yamaha Virago. It’s a lot of work,..."

...On top of the case work, Dave also built an auxiliary oil tank and oil regulator..."

Check where the stock oil pump is located on the old Honda motors.
The Midget guys ran a crude dry sump pump off the front of the cam.
Hard to tell exactly what Cook did, but it looks like the oil pump is now
on the right, driven off the front of the crank. Oil tank is under the seat.

Last edited:
Ya old cook is keeping it a secret toobad he doesnt make a kit of some sort....could probabley do alright ..or mayby not worth it for a small amount of interest sent a few emails asking for better build picks but no responce....mayby if I offered money...Den

He wants to sell complete bikes, and big brake rotors.
I don't really blame him.

A few build pics available on Billy's Henderson.

Well I think if he came up with a milder version of the rambler available to the masses he might be onto something but looks like not to many people are interestd if we go by the participation on this thread.

Well I think if he came up with a milder version of the rambler available to the masses he might be onto something but looks like not to many people are interested if we go by the participation on this thread.

The crowd here isn't his target market.

Well after the big global economic meltdown I see all those chopper shops going out of buisness and just a few big ones surviving guess Cook is after the more affluent buyer the type that will walk in the door and order one at any cost,basketball players,rap stars,ballplayers,rock stars ect....ect....But still say those types want something different than a harley...You would think after he had worked out all the engineering problems he would want to recoup some dough.Mayby one day he will read this and the lightbulb will go off.

Another guy(JLeather) in this thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=63281.0
mentioned adapting a BMW trans to a Honda motor.

Maybe try and contact him.

If that doesn't work, there might be more info on that board, about Midget motors, maybe find pics of how they attached the coupling.
Or maybe there is a decent TQ midget board somewhere. The old guys will remember these motors; the new kids just run a transmission.

Honda_CB750K_engine_rebuild_83.JPG

This is the top of the case, turned upside down.
The front of Cook's motor is on the left, the rear on the right.
The tapered shaft most likely has a key, to drive the stock alternator.
Ignition is on the left, oil pump is buried inside the trans somewhere.

Last edited:
Assembled, with stock Alternator.
Honda_CB750K_engine_rebuild_100.JPG

The bolt holding the Alternator on, would be used to hold a custom coupling
for a transmission. The Alternator would have to go somewhere else.

Latest posts

Back