Missing member alert!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone heard from Mike at Cornfield?

I can't talk much because I've been pretty much missing here myself. Just super busy with work and life and haven't had time to work on my cars. My daughter's house is finally finished (if they ever really are?) and I need to make some time to gather some pictures and write up a final wrap on it but that takes time too. I check in pretty often but seldom have the time to post much.

As for Mike he has become super busy and has Ryan Pope (the guy with the cool RPU) working full time with him now I believe. He's been hosting some weekend metal shaping classes at his shop and also at Yocum's Rod Shop in Virginia...I'd love to go to some of those. If any of you smart phoners are on Instagram you can keep up with Mike as he posts regularly on there. His Instagram user name is CORNFIELDCUSTOMS there too.

Mike has been updating on the HAMB a lot, too. Looks like he's gotten into some high end body restoration on some old rides.

Bonehead, that thing is awesome! I use to be into 4wd rigs. Might havd to build another some day! Thanks for sharin.

Remember when the captain was awol?

attachment.php

Ain't missin'.

Nope. Me and Buford are just cruising the beautiful hills of East Tennessee. Took way too long to build so I'm gonna enjoy it for a while. "When it runs, it's done!" I'll get back to finishing it one day soon. I'll post pics when I do. Need a break!

Shakey

Attachments

• securedownload-13.jpg
    securedownload-13.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 13
  • securedownload-18.jpg
    securedownload-18.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 15
  • securedownload-4.jpeg
    securedownload-4.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 14
I see Mike posting on Facebook pretty regular. I would love to attend one of his metal shaping classes. Looks like he is Balls to the Walls busy..

I've been away for awhile, though I doubt if many noticed. I don't post a lot of progress pics even when I'm checking in regularly. I spent a little over five months finishing my second novel, and just recently got some time to spend on the '56 Fairlane project. It's going to be slow going; Too much to do and very few funds to spend. I'll post a pic every now and then, but mostly I'm back to checking out everyone else's projects and chuckling at some of the comments. :)

Definition of friend
"go for months without contact and start right where you left off"

So much to do, so little time. We'll take what we get [cl

Good to see ya Torch. Day pass?

Hahaha been stuck on facebook. hiding from my projects. hate discontent and frustration and lack of money.

got both the 2000 and the 77 f150 4x4 conversions tore down then the engine went out in my dually daily...
that was last year
then this winter the head gaskets 9only gaskets i didn't replace when I put the 400 in) started to go
just got that finished with new exhaust
not as expensive as another engine or complete replacement of suspension and steering that i did last year.

torque specs on smallblock heads is 65#
mine broke loose at anywhere from 40# down to 10#
had graphite overlaid gaskets which had gotten soft and mushy
went with the blue fel pros and new head bolts
runs perfect
this 400 had 60k miles and has ZERO ring ridge I could feel with a fingernail
That was nice to discover

Too busy, or at least that's my story

I've been really busy also, which is no excuse. Much of my internet time is now spent using the smartphone. Is there an app for this? I have to transfer pictures to the computer or squint a lot to try to post directly from my phone.

I know all of my current projects are way too new (like a 29 year old truck is new??) for most people's tastes, but I guess the techniques and trials can apply to any other projects.

My daughter is buying a 1955 Willys CJ5. That will be fun.

440shorty

P.S. I did work on my Dodge shop truck project today, and went to the local Pick-A-part (called Crazy Ray's) too.

I try to check in once in a while.... but free time is non existent pretty much anymore... Pushed the Chevy in to the back corner of the barn, still play with the dodge. Camper hasn't moved in about a year... :(

MIA, but not DOA

I think I read somewheres on here that AZDave had liquidated all of his cars stuff except his daily...

Sgtpontiac comes and goes sometimes for a year at a time...

Sometimes people's interests change. I know a few that drifted away and I see them pop up in other places. The rat rod craze hits them, they drag home an incomplete shell, then eventually reality sets in and they realize they are way short on the time, money, tools and talent it takes to actually build a car. I think that's what happened to AZdave. I know the reality was hitting him and he was starting to get his head right. I was hoping he would buy a complete runner and stay with us.

THATS WHAT I WANTED HIM TO DO
just buy one and cruise it.
certainly no shame in that!

Gosh, fellas! I am honored and humbled to have been noticed being away.

Yes, it's true. I sold everything off, feeling that I was just not capable of building (or completing) anything. Got really close on a couple, but when it came right down to it, didn't get it done. Didn't lose any money, and actually made a few bucks here and there. They all went to good homes, and I still have a 350 Chev engine, trans, and some other parts left.

Like a friend of mine says, "stick with what you know," so I went back to playing with Miatas and wanted to get back into autocross racing, so I built this little guy:

PA010252_zpsu5x02tck.jpg

It's a 1990 with a 2000 engine in it, so the lightest Miata with 140hp instead of the wimpy 100 it came with. Suspension mods and removing weight, and had it out this spring to go blasting around the cones. I'd been away from the sport for 11 months, and it takes a while to get the mojo working again, but had a few good runs here and there to get that good feeling back again.

I've peeked in once in a while, but hadn't posted anything until I saw e-man's Vettester, and had to respond. What an amazing and creative piece that is! And of course I kept up with the "fun pics" and a couple of builds that are ongoing or completed, and am amazed at the talent and skills you all possess.

Through some trades and some lucky finds, I now have 4 running and driving Miatas, two with working AC, and one parts car with title issues. Last time I visited the earthy dude, I saw the Corvette, and he told me of his vision, but I had no idea it would turn out the way it did! Got me to thinking about this parts car and what to do with it, and once stripped down, here is what is left:

img_6843-83086857_zpstoqwfsrj.jpg

I got a ride in a '49 Chevy pickup that was sitting on an S-10 frame, and would still love to have a rat of my own. It was just so cool to ride in that thing, built by another friend of mine with tremendous abilities and skills. It made me a bit sad that I hadn't completed any of my attempts, so I have been hesitant to try again. After all, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

I sent e-man a message about the Vettester, and he mentioned he has a fiberglass t-bucket body, which got the creative juices flowing, and ideas about what I could do with that parts car. I don't have a truck to go fetch it, but might be able to talk a friend into transport.

So I have been lying awake at night (and daydreaming) about something along the lines of a t-bucket sitting on a Miata "frame." Being a bit of a hoarder, I have a lot of parts around still, and just might be able to do something unique and possibly of interest to the crew here? You guys are awesome, and maybe, just maybe I can contribute in some way. It would certainly be the only one of its kind, or that I know of. We'll see ...

Neverdone, we told ya! That little girl would take a lot of time! Just have to work around the little ones, I know, we have our 3 yr old Grandson full time now!:eek:

Dave, you ought to get with earthman. With his T body, your Miata running gear, some steel and a welder, I'm betting y'all could turn out something in a short time![cl

Good idea!

Dave, you ought to get with earthman. With his T body, your Miata running gear, some steel and a welder, I'm betting y'all could turn out something in a short time![cl

That is an excellent plan! I have a lot of parts to remove and try to sell, but if Curt is willing, I am in !!! [dr

Shouldn't have sold my truck. Ah well...

Gosh, fellas! I am honored and humbled to have been noticed being away.

Yes, it's true. I sold everything off, feeling that I was just not capable of building (or completing) anything. Got really close on a couple, but when it came right down to it, didn't get it done. Didn't lose any money, and actually made a few bucks here and there. They all went to good homes, and I still have a 350 Chev engine, trans, and some other parts left.

Like a friend of mine says, "stick with what you know," so I went back to playing with Miatas and wanted to get back into autocross racing, so I built this little guy:

PA010252_zpsu5x02tck.jpg

It's a 1990 with a 2000 engine in it, so the lightest Miata with 140hp instead of the wimpy 100 it came with. Suspension mods and removing weight, and had it out this spring to go blasting around the cones. I'd been away from the sport for 11 months, and it takes a while to get the mojo working again, but had a few good runs here and there to get that good feeling back again.

I've peeked in once in a while, but hadn't posted anything until I saw e-man's Vettester, and had to respond. What an amazing and creative piece that is! And of course I kept up with the "fun pics" and a couple of builds that are ongoing or completed, and am amazed at the talent and skills you all possess.

Through some trades and some lucky finds, I now have 4 running and driving Miatas, two with working AC, and one parts car with title issues. Last time I visited the earthy dude, I saw the Corvette, and he told me of his vision, but I had no idea it would turn out the way it did! Got me to thinking about this parts car and what to do with it, and once stripped down, here is what is left:

img_6843-83086857_zpstoqwfsrj.jpg

I got a ride in a '49 Chevy pickup that was sitting on an S-10 frame, and would still love to have a rat of my own. It was just so cool to ride in that thing, built by another friend of mine with tremendous abilities and skills. It made me a bit sad that I hadn't completed any of my attempts, so I have been hesitant to try again. After all, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

I sent e-man a message about the Vettester, and he mentioned he has a fiberglass t-bucket body, which got the creative juices flowing, and ideas about what I could do with that parts car. I don't have a truck to go fetch it, but might be able to talk a friend into transport.

So I have been lying awake at night (and daydreaming) about something along the lines of a t-bucket sitting on a Miata "frame." Being a bit of a hoarder, I have a lot of parts around still, and just might be able to do something unique and possibly of interest to the crew here? You guys are awesome, and maybe, just maybe I can contribute in some way. It would certainly be the only one of its kind, or that I know of. We'll see ...

You should stuff a Ford 5.0 in that Miata, those things are insane!

Latest posts

Back