my new project!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now with my motor mounts, what has everyone used or designed as far as one off/custom pieces?

i have access to 1/4 and 3/8 steel plates to use as far as using to bolt to the block and build my tube support/locating shaft. just thats kinda holding me back on really dropping it into the frame and moving on to start playing with the trans crossmember and beefing up the center frame section.

got a full rolling chassis, with the help of wood blocks. as well as the bracket for the panhard tacked into place.

Attachments

• 0928101833.jpg
    0928101833.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 0928101833a.jpg
    0928101833a.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 72
thank you, i very much agree. right now im waiting on the parts to come in for getting the motor into place. so im taking this time to weld in most of the recent tacking and fixing of the crossmember.

so this may be my own fault, but i have my motor in the back of my truck until sat night or sunday morning, for im transporting it, but while it being in there, i noticed today someone cut one of the spark plug wires.

:mad: i know i may have been asking for it just leaving it in there for so long, but out of pure respect i figured everyone would leave it alone, tho i see that wasnt true. now im forced to buy new spark plug wires for the pure reason someone else felt like being a dick and snipping just one.

tell me about it, i guess you cant trust anyone anymore. my truck has only been parked at home or at work, no where else.

thanks with the frame. ugly, discolored and still needing to be cleaned and grinded on, but everything is slowly coming together. have the bump stops and waiting til tomorrow to grab the metal to mount those as well as metal for all the extra bracing; for the front tower control arm support as well as addition frame to c-notch support. hopefully i can have some big process done this weekend for everyones viewing pleasure.

as for the motor fitting this weekend, its a no go. my trans member was delayed for they ran out of the bolt/weld on brackets for the ends. so hopefully middle of next week arrival or next weekend. have to wait for that and overall motor placement before i can add the inner frame support beams for the middle part of the chassis.

oh as for the bed, got some extra long 1x1 tubing to help make the overall structure of the bed inner frame. i believe im going to go with a flatbed style purpose but with a covered bed type look. my only concern is with overall mounting and design status of it, so hopefully i can get some insight on that???

thanks for still looking everyone

added in a few braces to the frame that i believe were needed. got that crossmember brcket installed to help stabilize the tower for both the driveshaft loop and control arm mount.

working on making my box frame. the box will really serve no purpose but tthat of a flatbed. im laying out 1x1 tubing to trace the frame lines. from there ill piece both sides together, making a tube frame. from there ill mount my newly acquired box sides, extend the bottoms down about 6" to help cover fram and give my bed a more desired height.

while i wait for more parts to come in i hope to have the bed sides tacked up, notched for the axle and hopefully lined out for getting one portion of this project done. also i may make the tailgate somewhat functional by letting it open to get access to gas tank/fuel pump and air system components. though i may make the bed tilt open for that function.

so i got some updates, not pics yet, have to wait tila fter football. got most the bed skeleton frame tacked together, just need the top 4 bars tacked into place. as welll as a couple other braces tacked in.

got some more parts in. got the brake pedal and master cylinder in which is a NOS gm master cylinder for dirt cheap. got a brake pedal assembly out of 70's camaro, so the 2 will mesh together with ease. got a universal spoon style throttle pedal and cable package. grabbed motor mounts for the caddy 500, which will aid in mounting the motor into place, even tho im STILL waiting on the trans crossmember and my bear claw latch install panels. hopefully i will get tons of work done this upcoming weekend, or sunday, seeing how i have a buddies wedding on sat. pics promised again soon.

oh yea, its getting the caddy 500. just got the motor mounts in yesterday, just waiting on the trans crossmember,, STILL. so hopefully i can fab the motor mounts from the block to the frame and have a step closer to gettin the motor set in place.

saturday nothing important showed up. still waiting on the trans crossmember, waiting on a response from the seller on what the H3LL the issues are. got the frame for the bed tacked together and mostly welded. just have to mount the bedsides to it and notch for the axle. cutting and welding my bump stop mounts, so i will have a final frame lowered height for the rear, unfortunately it wont lay frame, but off by about .5" to help the bags from holding the weight of the frame.

so until the couple parts come in i need to mount the motor, im kinda at a stand still :(

got some forward progress done, but not a ton til i can get my hands on a hoist. got my trans crossmember in, as well as my motor mounts and the parts to mount to the frame. have had very slow progress on the project more so for trying to finish my single garage for the purpose of this build.

have my bump stop plates mounted and tested, tho i think i need to trim down my bump stops for its hold the frame to high.

also hooked up air to the rear bags and played with them a bit to get a simulation of rear lift and drop...that alone gave me a whole new life for this project!!!:D:D

will have pics tomorrow for i believe i got my hands on an engine hoist, so hopefully i can get my trans member mounted along with the engine mounts. therefore getting the motor into the frame!!!

are you using the 10bolt for this build if so have fun putting a new rear end in in a short time they dont hold up for almost any power or abuse i would just do a 14bolt.

thanks brew for the compliment of the ideas planned.

mentioned i found a 12bolt, so have since used that and built it around that axle. will plan to rebuild and upgrade as needed. so axle choice will be fine and dandy.

10bolt is going to go up for sale eventually.

anyways...got a couple pics of the bracing tacked up as well as the bump stop plates in place. final welding is required but pics are for general showing of what i explained for additional bracing.

...ok pics arent going to load up so ill load them up later on a different computer.

been some time since this has been viewed or posted on. though i have and havent done work with the project. wyoming wind has been hell and the sudden blast of cold pushed me into lazy mode.

anyways. got some free time today so decided to work on the truck rather than build the doors for the the work shop lol. proceeded to chop out the old chitty fill job done by previous owner and welded in the new strip(s) as well as chopped up the bottom cab corners to make for an easier fit when i get the floor laid down. got the old gas fill hole tacked up too.

motor install continues to get delay, for one reason after another. mostly for i dont have an engine hoist, and the one i do use, the buddies out of town on his honeymoon. so looks like i shall be buying one soon.

Attachments

• 1030101152.jpg
    1030101152.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 1030101443.jpg
    1030101443.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 56
  • mms_picture.jpg
    mms_picture.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 49
  • mms_picture_2.jpg
    mms_picture_2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 46
more so the REchop. had to fix the old fill strip, but yes it does indeed look much better.

another question. i need to bend some wide radius bends out of 1x1, should i pie cut and bende to fit or just have a machine shop bend them for me? they wont be holding any significant weight, if any at all.

Latest posts

Back