50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nope

"Hey Skull not a good way to tan your arms!" --not me doing the welding, l know better, but my friend welds all the time that way[;)

D R, them thar seats is killer [dr[dr

Later:cool:

Thanks guys, I'm real happy with them, all custom work, real nice heavy vinyl, none of that thin cover crap... I'm going to try to sort out the seating position this week, and finish the floors. Then I think I'm on to making this beast run, which means pulling the tank, and welding in all the mounts and running the lines...

I'll still have to pull the motor and trans to weld in the mounts permanently, but I need that umph to get me going again, like the motor firing up...

floors floors floors

Yep, still working on the floors, probably one more night, then working on the seat mounts, and such, and then filling in the floor around the mounts, I'm running out of steel to use for the floors... going to have to buy some soon.

Attachments

• DSC05059.jpg
    DSC05059.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC05060.jpg
    DSC05060.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 39
You'll be a master welder by the time you finish the floor.[;):) The seats look real nice. Worth waiting for, eh?

You'll be a master welder by the time you finish the floor.[;):) The seats look real nice. Worth waiting for, eh?

Yea, was starting to reach my limit of patience, so not sure how long it would take to get more items covered in the future...

Can't wait to get the seats in there just to set the seating height right, and then back to metal work.

Yea, was starting to reach my limit of patience, so not sure how long it would take to get more items covered in the future...

Can't wait to get the seats in there just to set the seating height right, and then back to metal work.

Good luck with the seat height. I've had mine at three different heights and still not sure about it. That may be one reason I can't get anything finished.
Lots of welding there on yor floor. Looking good.

Good luck with the seat height. I've had mine at three different heights and still not sure about it. That may be one reason I can't get anything finished.
Lots of welding there on yor floor. Looking good.

I always go back to a car I drive every day to see where things are in relation to one another, I mean if its setup similarly to something you are comfortable with, it should work well in the truck as well.

Maybe I will post some sketches when I get some time, after getting this one setup, perhaps it can help someone with starting points of steering wheel to seat, and angle of the wheel, and also wheel height to floor, and seat height off the floor...

reach.jpg

I always go back to a car I drive every day to see where things are in relation to one another, I mean if its setup similarly to something you are comfortable with, it should work well in the truck as well.

Maybe I will post some sketches when I get some time, after getting this one setup, perhaps it can help someone with starting points of steering wheel to seat, and angle of the wheel, and also wheel height to floor, and seat height off the floor...

reach.jpg

Exactly the right way to do it.
Before I chopped mine I measured everything in my current ride. Including space from my head to the roof and distance from the seat to the bottom of the steering wheel.
Where things start to get tricky is in using the old steering wheels as they are so much larger as well as the steering wheel angle. Much different in older vehicles than what we are used to.
Since i am Intent on using what I already have I will be shortening the steering column and most likely moving it up to come thru the dash instead of under it. But I just don't want to give up that 18" steering wheel.
Torchie.

I'm going to try and use the original steering wheel as well. The big wheel works with manual steering.

The other thing about them is the angle of the wheel. Kinda like a big truck.

floors & seat riser chop

Finished up one little floor piece, and then I couldn't wait any longer, I mocked up the seat height, and cut down the windstar seat riser.
Stock setup has the front mount about 3/4" higher in front, I went 1" as it felt like a more relaxed seating angle, especially with the rake to the truck.

Anyhow, on to the pics.

Attachments

• DSC05061.jpg
    DSC05061.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC05062.jpg
    DSC05062.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC05063.jpg
    DSC05063.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC05064.jpg
    DSC05064.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 45
Very Nice!!!!

Looks really Nice!!! Dig the seats and the look.....good choice in the covers.....man you are moving on this thing..... [P

Well after a family weekend, I looked at the truck a little last night, I'm feeling like I have an idea for the steering column, a simple shaft style will look the best and will be the easiest to setup. This means a little more engineering for the shifter to be on the floor, but I kinda wanted that anyhow... I'm going to try to get the dash cut down a little more and see if I can get it fitted for some pics...

Latest posts

Back